Our 4th and 5th graders recently wrapped up their current book clubs. One component of their book club was to choose a culminating project that would then be shared with their classmates and Mr. Kern.
Students were able to chose between:
- writing a piece of short fiction in which they join the main character ten years after the original book ended
- rewrite the book as a graphic novel/comic book
- research the author of their book followed by an imaginary interview with the author using the information they obtained during their research
- write a screenplay of their book
- mini research project from a topic that came directly out of the book
It was a wonderful experience seeing student voice and choice in action as they worked on their projects and then shared them with their class.